Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Tale of Two (Photo)Blogs

If you check my sidebar, you'll see several new link buttons (created by yours truly). Some of these are for sites that used to have text links, such as BookPleasures, Lady Book Notes and Lady Photo Bug. There is also a link for another photoblog that I created sort of accidentally: Through Evie's Lens.

How, you may ask, did I end up with TWO photoblogs?

Don't ask.

When I initially decided to do a photoblog, I looked around the web for templates, etc., that I liked,since Blogger templates are not well-suited for photoblogs. I wanted something that would display a nice large photo, one per page. I downloaded some templates and discovered that the new Blogger doesn't like any templates besides the few selections they offer. So, I decided to host a photoblog somewhere else.

I found a nice photoblog host, entered all my data, and learned that it would be several days before the site would be ready to use. By this time I was pretty frustrated, so I decided to go ahead and see if I could use one of Blogger's templates for something like a photoblog. At least with Blogger, one can start blogging immediately. So, that's what I did.

Well, Blogger can be set to post only one photo per page, but the viewing size is pathetic. I decided to compromise and set it for three photos per page, plus individual pages for each post. In the meantime, I wasn't sure whether I would go ahead with the other host.

I eventually got an email from aminus3.com that my photoblog site was ready to go. I decided to check it out. Well, I really like the format, so I'm posting photos there too. I also like the fact that one can navigate easily from my site to other photo sites (Blogger is not good at linking similar sites together). If you check out Lady Photo Bug and Through Evie's Lens, you'll see that I'm not posting the same photos on each site every day. Each site has a unique selection. No doubt, I will eventually have duplications. After all, I can only take so many photos. However, they will be organized differently, so the duplications shouldn't be too obvious or annoying.

What have I learned from this experience?

1. I'm definitely a creature of the 21st century, especially when it comes to Internet expectations. If I want to start a blog, web site, etc., I want to do it now. Patience has never been one of my virtues and I'm paying for that now by having to maintain two similar blogs.

2. The good thing about having two photoblogs is that I'm connecting to different communities. I get a lot more traffic at the aminus3 site than I do at the Blogger site because aminus3 has taken deliberate steps to connect people with similar interests.

As you're browsing around the web, take a look at both of my photoblogs (read Lady Book Notes sometimes, too). When you're at Through Evie's Lens, click on the community link and check out some of the other photoblogs from around the world. It's lots of fun, very interesting and occasionally educational.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I'll definately go and check it out.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to do a fancy header or banner on my blog. I just don't get it.