Saturday, June 16, 2007

Where Did My Week Go?

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:00 PM - My car dies outside of Dunkin' Donuts. I make a variety of phone calls and wait for help to arrive. David is out of town and Jonathan is under the influence of a strong pain medication (he's having problems with his knee again). I'm on my own for this one. I consume one donut and one bottle of water to pass the time.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:25 PM - Tow truck finally arrives at Dunkin' Donuts. Truck driver tests my battery, declares it dead and gives me a jump start. I drive home.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:15 AM - Jonathan jump starts my car. The plan: drive to a service station about 1/4 mile from my office, leave the car, walk to and from work, retrieve fully functional car after work. The actual event: drive about a mile, end up sitting in dead car at incredibly busy intersection. In Rush Hour.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:35 AM - Policeman arrives, pushes my car to a safer position and lights flares to ensure that other vehicles don't ram mine.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:10 AM - Tow truck arrives, takes me to nearest shop for service. I walk home and meet Jonathan, who is just leaving for work. New plan: I drive Jonathan to work, take his car to my office.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:15 AM - I arrive at work, 1.25 hours late.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 5:20 PM - Having driven home in Jonathan's car, I walk to the service station and pick up my car, which has been fitted with a nice new battery. It works.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 7:00 PM - I pick up Jonathan from his workplace. We stop at McDonald's to pick up a nutritious supper (well, it's better than the donut I'd eaten the previous night!). Then we go home and veg.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 4:45 PM - Having passed an uneventful day at work, I arrive at Oakton High School to serve as a band chaperone at that evening's graduation ceremonies. Tonight's culinary delight: a meatball sub and a bottle of chocolate milk from Subway.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 10:30 PM - Having ridden on a bus to and from the graduation ceremony and having sat through the program, which was enlivened at several points by beach balls batted in the air by the graduates (stats: seven beach balls, four of which were in the air at the same time, one of which was shaped like a football), I arrive home.

Friday, June 15, 2007 - ordinary day at work and at home. Dave got home early and prepared steaks and salads for supper. It was much tastier and healthier than the Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's and Subway fare that I'd eaten all week.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 - normal day so far. Time to catch up on all the stuff that I didn't get done earlier in the week.


Christian Camuti said...

My week was crazy as well. Most of it involved the breakdown of our van last week. I had to get bids for a new one, drive to White Plains to get the plates, sign title over. We had to drive to upstate NY to meet Elaine's folks halfway to drop off her niece.

It was a crazy, crazy, week!

Joanne said...

Your week sounds like my last two weeks, only no car breakdown for me........only crazy work hours, and tons of fast food (and dare I say, therefore indigestion!)

Dave said...

You forgot to mention that you were left alone Saturday afternoon and evening. Jonathan was out for a staff banquet and then a night out with his girlfriend while I was in Richmond on business Saturday afternoon and evening. Of course Josh is on the Austin Saturday.

Erik said...

So recognizable! Illustration of how wife and husband have to co-operate as promised at the wedding ceremony, and on top of that, also minding all your blogs!

Barbara said...

I hate car problems. I get so frustrated when they don't do what they are supposed to do.

Sounds like a crazy week. (they always happen with the spouse is away too)

Jenn said...

were you at a high school grad or a stones concert?