Saturday, February 06, 2010

It's Still Winter (and then some!)

This weekend's snowstorm is the fourth - count 'em, four - major snowfall we've had in northern Virginia this winter. It's also the third - count 'em, three - snowfall we've had this week. This past Tuesday's snowfall of 3 inches or so (which, in any normal winter in these parts would have been major news) pales in comparison to the two weekend storms that surrounded it. It has now been snowing for over 24 hours and it is supposed to keep snowing for several hours more.

I'll start by offering you a comparison of last week's view from my window with this week's view, which is still in progress as I type. Click on the photo to see a larger copy.


You can see that there's a considerable difference between what happened then and what is happening now.

As a bonus, I'm also going to show you a view from our front stoop.


You can see that the maintenance guy has cleared some pathways. As I type, the poor fellow is out there again, shoveling the snow from our stoop and plowing the path again. Just before I took this picture, I measured the snow on the pathway (which had been cleared two hours before I got out there) and found that it was about 4 inches deep. So, as you look at the photo, keep in mind that the low bit is four inches deep and see for yourself how much deeper the untouched snow is. You can also see that, if the guy hadn't cleared away some of the snow from the fire hydrant (lower right hand edge), it would be buried. The accumulation thus far is at least two feet deep. It's 95% (or more) fresh snow, because most of the stuff that fell on us last weekend and earlier this week had melted by midweek.

That's all for now. I think it's about time to enjoy some hot cocoa!

1 comment:

Catharine said...

All I can say is lucky you! Please send some our way. We have had next to nothing all winter. No buses cancelled, no school cancelled - nothing. How boring!