Friday, March 09, 2007

Lady Book Notes: Book Review: Why Intelligent Design Fails

I don't how many of you (if any) share my fascination with questions and issues surrounding evolution, creation, faith, etc. This fascination was fueled by two factors.

First, I've taken truckloads of courses in philosophy of science, epistemology, political philosophy, educational philosophy. . . . Public discourse about evolution, creation, Intelligent Design and so on provides lots of interesting
material for an analytical philosopher with roots in both Christianity and Deweyan Pragmatism.

Second, my doctoral advisor, who had degrees in biology and botany, really knew
the natural sciences. She complemented my musical, artsy background very well. I taught her to love jazz and she taught me to love science. She and I published - jointly and individually - papers dealing with science education, epistemology, etc. And we dined at jazz clubs in several major cities along the way.

Some of you may recall that, in December 2006, I reviewed a book about one scientist's attempt to reconcile his Christian faith with scientific data. You can find that review in the Lady Book Notes archives. My latest review of a related, but substantially different, book can be found by following the link below. The editors and authors ignore most of the political hype that surrounds Intelligent Design and examine the theory from scientific perspectives. Check out the review by following the link below. Then check out the book from your local library or bookstore.

Lady Book Notes: Book Review: Why Intelligent Design Fails

No comments: