Sunday, July 24, 2011

Moving Musings

Dave and I have nearly completed our move into a new, slightly smaller home. Naturally, we moved on the hottest weekend in recorded history. As we hauled boxes in 100 degree weather, I had some epiphanies about home and family life.

1. One idea that has a lot of appeal right now is that people should live in one house forever. Get married (or not), get a home, and stay there. Forever. Or until death, whichever comes first.

2. People who aren't going to live in one house their entire adult lives should move every 2-4 years. That way, they'll probably avoid accumulating too much stuff.

3. Ten years (which is how long we lived in our previous home) is entirely too long to live in one house unless one is going to live there until the day one dies.

4. Most of the stuff people own is just stuff. When we acquire it, we think it means something. And it does at that moment. But later on, when the time comes to decide what stays and what goes, a lot of the stuff that seemed so important a long time ago is much less attractive than it used to be. That being the case, one has to wonder why we bother getting it at all.

5. Given #4, I'd rather spend my money doing things I enjoy with people I love than buying stuff. And I'd definitely rather spend my time with them than with a house full of stuff.

I can't add anything else to this list right now. It's time to stop musing and start spending some time with someone I love (Hypatia) doing something we enjoy (walking).

3 comments:

Barbara said...

one of the most freeing things for me is purging. I love getting rid of things that have accumulated.
Good luck with the move.

Dotti said...

Cleaning a closet is good for your soul. I just don't do it often enough. We've been in our home now for 26.5 years. Can you imagine?

Christian said...

I have moved 3 times in the last year! I am thinking this last one is more permanent. I started blogging myself again, so come and check it out.

Now that I think about it, I actually moved 4 times in the last year.