Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Take Me Out to the Ballgame!

As Dave mentioned in his blog the other day, the Sears family spent this past Sunday evening at Municipal Stadium in Hagerstown, Maryland. The weather was perfect for a twi-night doubleheader. Best of all, the home team won both games!

When we drove to the stadium on Saturday to buy the tickets, Joshua quickly noted, "The tickets are really cheap!" Yes, minor league baseball is still family-friendly: you don't have to spend your child's college tuition to get into the stadium. That's why we were able to sit in VIP seats - front row, first-base line.

The second game was a gem. The pitcher came within one pitch of recording a perfect game. He ended up with a one-hit, one-run game. What a masterful performance. It's the closest I've ever come to seeing a perfect game. And I've seen some pitchers who are, or soon will be, in the hall of fame.

The sequence in the first photo below is the anatomy of a pitch thrown by the visiting team's starting pitcher in the first game. I love burst mode - I shot 4 frames in one second to get this sequence.


The next photo is the best batting shot I got all evening. My shutter speed was a bit too slow (1/640) to completely freeze the action of the bat and ball. I'll have to work on that.


Since we were sitting along the first base line, I got some decent shots at first base.



All in all, it was a very satisfying night out with the family. It's too bad the minor league season is over. Now I'll have to join legions of other folks in saying, "Wait until next year."

1 comment:

Christian said...

That is great that you were able to enjoy the game. We have a minor league in town, but sadly I haven't been able to get into it. The Defenders are affiliated with the SF Giants. They used to be the Yankee AA team. It is hard for me to get into a team and its players if its "mother team" is 3000 miles away.

I did get to a Yankee game last week. It was a good game until the top of the 9th, when Scott Proctor gave up a a 2 out homerun for the Tigers to go ahead. The life was literally sucked out of the stadium. The feeling was almost spiritual!

Some positives...I had box seats for the first time in 15 years. They were a gift! Jeter hit a double to go ahead midway through the game. If the stadium had a roof it would have blown off. His hit was followed by the chanting of MVP by the 54,000 fans.

A game at Yankee Stadium is like no other.