Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The 21st Century Family

This morning I decided to update my calendar - a coil-bound paper contraption - and note all of the family's pending activities for the next few months. I think it's emblematic of the age we live in that, in order to get the information I needed, I consulted several web pages, checked their events calendars and duly noted the relevant facts.

To find out about Jonathan's activities, I went here. To find out about Joshua's schedule, I went here and here. This second page also has information about events for which Dave and I will be volunteering. Another site I visited was here. I haven't copied much from this page yet. We won't know until Sunday night whether these events - and more - will be added. I just wanted to scan the horizon for possibilities. The final site I visited was here, since I don't want to overlook an important extended family event.

Last week I wrote a post about our family outing to Blues Alley. When I made the reservations in December, I immediately emailed - another sign of the age - Dave, Jonathan and Joshua and told them to clear their calendars for that evening.

Dave and I haven't made any plans yet for a winter getaway. Those will depend largely on whether Joshua gets into the Crossmen. Once we know that, we will plan accordingly. It would be nice if we could do this the old-fashioned way: in person, face-to-face. If all else fails, however, we can either confer via email or check each other's blogs for updates.

2 comments:

Erik said...

In our school we are always told (and we can read it in multi-cultural textbooks) that Americans always PLAN everything, well in Europe we are growing the same way I can tell you. Sometimes I come across a meeting, an event or whatever is interesting to attend and then discussing it with my wife we learn that it either isn't possible to go or that we have to move a number of appointments and/or other plans to attend that particular thing. I think it's a luxury problem and we must simply accept it as the way it is: we all have become our own managers, even family life has to be managed nowadays. Evy I put you on my favorite sites on my blog, thanks you did the same (at first I didn't know how to do it but I learn fast.

Barbara said...

I've never been very good with keeping an agenda, but now, with age, I've been forgetting so many things that I've bought one. I have to admit that it seems to give me great comfort knowing that things are written down in one spot and so I don't have to store it somewhere in my brain. It's very freeing.

Hey, if you're looking for a winter getaway, pull your RV out of storage and join us for the March break in Panama City Beach with Mom and Dad. There are a few RV parks there I think. Hey, don't even pull it out of storage, we call all just squeeze in to Mom and Dad's place!